food

Nigella’s addiction

16 Comments 10 December 2013

Made by my friend, Cath; she knows my weakness for these.

Made by my friend, Cath; she knows my weakness for these.

Cheeky title, isn’t it?

In honour of Nigella Lawson’s strength for escaping and standing up to her emotionally abusive ex-husband, I am celebrating with her amazing Sweet and Salty Crunchy Nut Bars. These are from NIGELLA KITCHEN by Nigella Lawson.

She said of these bars:  “I fear it is the kitchen equivalent to crack cocaine.”

I know.

But I think it’s quite a good quote, because it’s a cheeky two fingers to that guy (nastiness in human form) who is trying to destroy her by telling the world about her drug use. Just because she wouldn’t clear his name by pretending his humiliating, aggressive, controlling, neck grabbing, nose tweaking, recorded-by-camera-in-the-bushes incident was just him being silly with her one lunch time.

Guess what, Nastyman? Your plan backfired.

Readers, enjoy these very easy, very addictive chocolate bars.

Sweet and Salty Crunchy Nut Bars

Ingredients:

• 300g chocolate (half dark/half milk or proportions to suit your tastes)
  • 125g butter
  • 1 tbsp golden syrup
  • 4x40g Cruchie bars
  • 250g salted peanuts

Method:

• Put butter in a saucepan followed by chocolate and golden syrup.
  • Melt together over low heat.
  • Crush Crunchie bars with a rolling pin (cleaner to leave them in their wrappers for this).
  • Mix them with peanuts in a bowl.
  • Pour over chocolate mixture and stir together.
  • Pour into tin (lined with baking paper or cling film is easier).
  • Leave in cold place to set.
  • Cut into squares.

No need to share.However, they do make really lovely little holiday presents if you put a few in a cellophane bag and tie with a pretty ribbon.

1. Ooh, these sound delicious. Must give them a go. And I love the post title and the sentiment #TeamNigella

2. Mary Keynko says:

Yum! Bookmarked to make for Christmas hampers!

3. Well said. Only wonder why on earth she married him the first place….

• Once when I was dealing with a particularly difficult episode with my ex a friend’s well meaning husband turned to me and said, “why’d you ever marry this guy?” The only answer I could give was that I had been a different person when we decided to get married. Perhaps it’s the same for Nigella.

4. EmmaK says:

aaah I want to make these in USA I can find the Crunchie bars but what can I use instead of Golden Syrup?

• You can find crunchie bars in the States?! I would have loved that growing up. I first discovered them when we went across the border into Canada and stopped to get gas. I saw them in by the till and decided to try one. They became my favourite candy bar for years then. I know you can get honeycomb candy (isn’t it the same as cinder toffee?) but I hadn’t ever had that till the Crunchie bar either.

Anyway, I had a look at the Nigella site for subs and found this:

“If you can’t find golden syrup then you could use honey (the clear, runny type), though the flavour of the honey will come through slightly in the finished food. Otherwise you could use corn syrup or glucose syrup.”

I’d suggest corn syrup. I use Golden Syrup to sub for corn syrup in the American recipes I use, so that should be okay.

5. EmmaK says:

Yes they have Crunchie Bars at some Giant stores and Wegmans along with a lot of other Cadbury’s bars. Thanks I will try it with corn syrup and let you know how they turn out!

Re- the US sub for golden syrup; I would add a teeny bit of molasses to give it that extra something. Corn syrup or honey (IMO) lacks the “bite”. However – you can order it online from my local Brit shop (Spencer’s Jolly Posh Foods, in Chicago).
    Funny, I heard about a salted peanut chic recipe today and thought “Oooh”. I think we might make this for teacher Xmas gifts. Thanks.
    PS. Did she make the cocaine statement before this trial? Rather an unfortunate choice if so. Poor girl though. What a shit that guy is.

• Thanks for the tips Toni!

The cocaine statement was well before this trial, perhaps a year or two ago? My friend Cath made this for us last Christmas and quoted this statement to me (but not with the irony it can be quoted with now). With recent events I was reminded again of the quote…

7. Those look scrumptious. Do you have to snort them through the nose? ;-)

OMG – have just made them. They are DIVINE!

9. Ohh my, they look divine. I know I should not make them or I will never stop! Mich x

10. Lou says:

Darn it. I’m on a cut-down diet and now I’m v keen on one of those biscuitty things in the pic. Right! Ignore! Off to do the ironing…. #no-chocolate-no-chocolate…..