food

Why did I not know about these?

32 Comments 19 October 2012

goldfish cracker

Quite simply: YUM.

My cousins have been here this week. The cousins brought some snacks from home to have handy for their travels. Yesterday they moved on to their next destination and left behind a few snacks to lighten the load. One of those snacks were these little orange coloured, fish shaped crackers. They kept calling them Goldfish but I guessed they were cheese crackers. Being a true cheese fanatic (in all forms, including artificial flavouring and humour) I was curious about trying them. I took the cousins to the station, came back and while making a cup of tea I picked a Goldfish cracker out of the bag.

Oh.

My.

Goodness.

When you’ve been an expat long enough some things develop back home without you knowing anything about it at all. Clearly Goldfish arrived while I was away. After the first one, I had another to make sure these were as incredible as I first thought.

Yes, they were.

So I had a handful. Then another handful. I poured them out into a bowl and took them to my desk so I could snack while working.

And yes, I got another bowl. I couldn’t help it. A weakness of mine–I get a taste for something and I eat and eat and eat it. Probably that’s why no one has ever confused me with a skinny person.

Anyway. Thank you cousins for introducing Goldfish to me. I don’t even blame you for the Goldfish shaped belly ache I got later–I take full responsibility.

Now, like a true long-term expat, I’m off to Google where I can buy them online…

Picture this scene. We’d been in the US for a few days. Someone offered to take us to church with them the first Sunday, so we said yes please. I took my youngest, aged 2, to the creche, and stayed with her. One of the nursery helpers asked “is it ok if she has some goldfish?” I think that was the first of my many, many puzzled looks…

You can get rainbow-coloured goldfish if you need a few artificial additives to complete the experience.

2. Ah, the Goldfish! The first one is free, as they say. I became addicted to them in the US and tend to eat myself sick on them while I am there, and often bring back bags of them.

I can also buy them at Spark’s Yard in Arundel; they have the Great Big Box there, but I hate buying that because, as you can sympathize, once I open it, I can’t stop until they are all gone.

Glad I don’t live near that place them. I’d look like a gigantic goldfish eventually.

3. andrea says:

Goldfish have been around since the 60s, you have never seen them before? They are a staple in our house!

4. Melissa says:

Michelle, I’m pretty sure they were around in the 80′s! Maybe they hadn’t made it to MN yet. They are a favorite that moms give to their toddlers since they’re little bite sized pieces, along with Cheerios.

5. Liene says:

Staple snack for little kids! I was raised on the plain variety and Cheerios, now my two boys go through a bag a week. They have cheddar, pretzel, barbecue, rainbow and probably five more varieties, I believe those are new additions. Ne of the foods I missed most while living in France, if only for their magical quiet in the backseat qualities!

6. Caroline says:

That’s funny .
    All the kids here in the US eat Goldfish. Parents give them to the kids because they think ,it is a bit a healthier option. (well they contain added vitamins)

7. All this talk about Goldfish! I want some; I want them NOW!

Me too. Wishing I hadn’t brought it up now as I will simply have to get some more and… well…there goes any hope of a pre Christmas diet!

8. Michelloui says:

I’m starting to think that I was very left out growing up! Either Goldfish hadn’t yet made it to northern Minnesota or my mom just never bought them.

We did have Cheeze Its though… Mmmmmm!

9. I love these, too – they’ve been around forever. The originals were (and still are) made by Pepperidge Farm.

I love how everyone else knew about these and I never ever saw them, snack mad person that I am.

They’re very much kiddie food though! They come in all sorts of weird flavours now too – pizza etc.

11. Michelle, Michelle, Michelle…SERIOUSLY????? Goldfish were my fav snack next to Cheetos and you know how I feel about Cheetos! Another trip to Lakenheath maybe??? ;)

Karin

Ooooh! Cheeeeeeetoooos! Well, I can totally understand why you’d like these goldfish too!

12. Carole says:

LOL ;) I was eating similar nibbles in Portugal and I immediately thought of this post I’d read earlier. When I think of the UK I think of Twiglets. Do they still sell them?

Oh yes, Twiglets are still here Carole! Although I think you should write a post about the amazing new treat someone has brought you from England and see how many people write in to tell you that, well, ‘duh!’ it’s been there forEVER! ;)

13. Tammy says:

One of things I learned as an expat was that much of what I thought was the American cultural norm was actually my family’s norm, like your mom not buying Goldfish. How funny that you had to live in England for 20 years to discover the fun cheesy snack. I had to travel to Berlin to discover falafels.

You’re the only one focusing on the varying cultural norms in a country, rather than on how these cheesy crackers have been in the states forever… :)

14. The Queen says:

Goldfish have been around for ages. I remember getting them as a treat on field trip days. The cheesy ones are fantastic but my favorites have always been the pretzel fish. The pizza flavor sounds nauseating to me.

15. Bod for tea says:

Yummmm… We’re off to Disneyland in February and I’m already preparing to buy a jumbo bag when we get there. Did you find them on sale in the UK? On second thoughts, no don’t tell me!

16. Rebecca says:

I had Goldfish growing up! :) You can get them at Asda here, but I only get them as a treat as I find it to be pricey for the little bag!

17. TinaMarie says:

Yes they are stil made by Pepperidge Farms…and come in about 10 varities including pretzel, white cheddar, regular cheddar, rainbows, and the ones we brought…XTRA Cheddar (those are our favorite). Glad you enjoyed them…we know what to bring on our next visit! :-)

18. DEE says:

We came to NY in the early 60′s. I can remember eating Goldfish as a snack then. I love the cheese Flavoured type. I shopped in COSTCO when I returned to the UK for a few years. I got Goldfish there at the Chester store.

• So you discovered them way back as well! Who knows how I missed these for so long, perhaps living in the middle of the Midwest we just didn’t get so many exotic things like Goldfish! I see them in Tescos now and I smile every time. At least I’ve lost the desire to buy them all up ;)