blogging

Do you ever do this?

20 Comments 30 October 2012

I wrote a post today, about a book I’m reading called A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness (one of my favourite authors for his Chaos Walking trilogy). But the post made me so very sad that I decided to not click on ‘publish’. I sometimes write very emotional posts, sometimes I share quite deep and meaningful things here, but I think this one was too deep and too scary to sit out on public display. The topic isn’t a secret, and if I published it I know many of you would have agreed with me on how difficult the subject is, but I just didn’t need my thoughts on the topic in a place where I am reminded of it every time I look at my blog.

It was one of those things that I just needed to write, but I didn’t need to publish.

Do you other bloggers ever do that? Do you ever write a blog post, proof read it and rewrite bits, polish it up a bit, maybe add a photo… then decide to not publish?

If so, what are your reasons?

1. MsCaroline says:

I do that all the time! In my case, it’s primarily because my blog is meant to be a mostly lighthearted, humorous look at expat life in Seoul and my own experiences. When I do write serious or emotional posts, I always feel like I should apologize, for some reason. I actually worked for quite a while on just such a post yesterday. It’ll probably never see the light of day.

Agreed! I want to apologise as well, which is another reason why I wouldn’t want to publish it! Glad I’m not the only one.

2. Tammy says:

Some times my blog posts end up getting away from me and reveal a lot more than I feel comfortable with sharing. So often just getting the emotions out helps me think things through. The publishing part isn’t alone.

All of that said, “You are not alone!”.

I have quite a few sitting in the draft folder and when I look at them I just think “Why on earth did I think this would be interesting?”
    Other times, I will write something that is probably too political for the Expat Mum blog. I did write another blog for a while where I vented more about political stuff, but the arguments I used to get into just weren’t worth the aggro. Now I really don’t have an outlet for my very vocal viewpoints on a few things.

4. When my posts veer off into “Mike’s Opinion Land” I tend to sit back and think, “Who cares?” In my opinion, opinion posts (by me anyway) are not that interesting, so I put them in the HOLD folder where they languish in blog-purgatory.

Do you know, I don’t think I ever do do that. I take the “publish and be damned” road. But I do have other places I write (not the internet, but a beautiful leather journal) for that kind of stuff.

6. Naomi says:

I just published one that maybe should have stayed “in draft” — but not for being political, but simply because it reflected a very trying period in our family’s life. But I hit publish because I’m tired of trying to figure out what someone else will think of it.

I think I’m going to blog just to write. I think that sometimes just writing what is on your heart, in your mind … what’s bothering you, etc. can be great fodder (or at the very least, encouragement) for a positive discussion?

Rambling, but this was a timely post to read!

As you know I popped over and found the post you mentioned. It was a good post to publish (if I foudn the right one!) because I think a lot of parents have the same feelings. Sometimes these things are better shared!

7. The hardest posts I’ve written (one about the difficulties my daughter has faced) are the ones I feel the proudest of. I need to push myself to write about harder stuff, some topics are so hard that its tricky to know where to start. My block now is that teachers and parents at my kids’ schools read my blog which stops me from writing a lot of stuff that I would like to.

8. awindram says:

Not an issue with blog posts so much, I debate internally about how much blogging about my own negative thoughts re: the town I’m currently living in, but I rarely delete something I’ve written. More of an issue is failing to develop initial ideas into full posts.

More emotional thoughts I keep in my journal. I also tend to leave a long time in between events happening to me and blogging about it. I find that distance helps.

Distance is definitely a good thing. And good idea to keep a journal. I suspect that if I had a separate space for some things I wouldnt be so full of angst about what I should and shouldn’t publish here.

• AHLondon says:

I’m with Iota and AW. I don’t write what I am not willing to post but often have something languish because I couldn’t develop it, or because I had to do a school run and then never get a chance to develop it before it goes stale. That happens a lot.

9. Interesting.
    The only time I do this is to either protect myself from imagined enemies or to protect the feelings of loved ones.
    I sent an email at the weekend and it disappeared so I thought it had not gone and got a thank you for it today. It was one that I was concerned about sending but it worked for the best.
    Life, as we know, is strange sometimes.

10. Julia Boggio says:

Hi! I write a lot of posts in my head that never make it on to virtual paper. Lately, I’ve been doing more of that than actual posting!

If you’re ever in a quandary about whether to post or not, just ask yourself, “What would Liz Jones do?”

Ha ha.

Jx

• AHLondon says:

I just spit tea on my iPad. Thanks for that.
      Kidding aside, did you see her mommy bloggers should wear burkas bit? Speaking of posts that I haven’t had time to develop–an answer to that is one of them.

11. Tricky isn’t it? I try not to be all that serious on my blog. In fact on my old one, I was only ever truly serious once about the London riots… I hope that one day my children can look back on our lives living in foreign countries with some happiness so I (subconciously mostly) keep it happy and lively. And perhaps I am wrong to do so? Who knows!

So you use it as a record (a beautiful record, that is!) of your expat life–do you plan to create a book from it? I know there’s software that will turn WordPress blogs into books (for yourself, if not for the world). What an amazing coffee table book that would be for your family!!

• Yes, I guess initially I did, but it turned into so much more than that. It turned into an outlet at times, and connected me with people when at times I met no-one! Would love to make books out of them for the children, what a great idea! :) PS. Thanks for the lovely compliment too!

12. I do this on occasion. Most of the time though I publish it anyway. That’s what my blog is for – an honest window into the life of a woman who struggles with marriage, parenting, self-esteem, money and well, basically life in general.

If I don’t share the hard, sad, emotional parts as well as the happy, informative, fun bits, then I’m not doing justice to my blog.

But each blogger has to decide for themselves and that’s just what you did. So, chin up!

That’s a great way to put it–both that this sharing is what your blog is for, but also that you’re not doing justice to your blog if you don’t share all the grit. I like that aproach, but I’m not brave enough to do it on mine!