blogging

What you really think of The American Resident

10 Comments 07 November 2011

I have results of the poll and of the prize draw. (Psst! There’s another contest starting tomorrow!)

First, the draw. The winner is Lucy! Congratulations! I shall be posting the pretty little Cath Kidston soapdish today or tomorrow.

I used the randomiser at Random.org for this draw. It allows you to enter all the names (in most cases I entered names more than once if people reTweeted or reposted elsewhere, as per the guidelines of this draw).

Now for the poll.

This was a lot easier than I expected. I might do another poll sometime. I also really appreciated the extra comments. Now hopefully I will be able to spend my blog time more effectively, and you will enjoy your reading and perusing time here even more!

I used the free version of Polldaddy.

Poll Results:

This is a screen shot of the poll if you are desperate to see the numbers or if pie charts thrill you! If this is too tiny for you to see, try double clicking on it as it may allow you to see a larger version.

Summary:

You all left 101 votes which told me several important things.

Even though the expat tips and stories about my early expat years are popular, you see The American Resident as more than an expat blog. The main message I heard from you was to include more stories about me, my family and my pets. And my garden.

Some sponsored posts and reviews are fine so long as I don’t do too many and continue to keep them as entertaining as the rest of my posts. I’m pleased you said that as they help pay for my time here!

Keep the American snack recipes.

Not every post has to have a photo.

Keep the fresh look.

Thank you again for your time! I really appreciate you helping me with this–it was a little scary to do, but it really helped me find some sharper focus for The American Resident.

And a really big thanks to the extra comments from Katie Vyktoria, Mrs B, Stay at Home Babe, Jenn, Bod for Tea, Rhea O’Connor, Expat Mum, Tammy, Globetrotter, Smitten By Britain, Tattie Weasle, Lucy, Lisa Gusto, Penny and OK in UK.

Now one thing I’m wondering is this: has this helped any of you with your blogging or writing? Has it made you think differently about your audience? Are you curious enough to do a poll as well?

I don’t think I’ll do the poll because I couldn’t think of enough questions. I did ask something recently and found out that half my readers aren’t interested in the expat stuff and the others aren’t so interested in the family stuff. Hmmm…
    Anyway, the main conclusion from your poll is that we’re all dead nosey and we want to hear more about your life and your family!!!

Well that’s probably the core question anyway, and it’s interesting that you got half and half!

2. Lucy says:

Thank you so much for my prize! :)

3. Very interesting Michelloui…I find that my posts run along the same lines. The expat line is a tough one to draw. I think much depends on the interests of your readers. Mixing it up is good and I find that the things mentioned above are the ones that resonate the most with readers. Balance is key and I am still trying to figure out what that is. Maybe that is why I write in so many different places. I have to work on that too :) I am off to find your survey…
    Jeanne :)x

Thanks for your comment, Jeanne. I understand why you have different blogs–for all the different interests/aspects of your life! I’m not sure I could be that coordinated so yes, mixing it up in one place is good, always trying to maintain balance…and hoping for constructive feedback along the way from time to time!

4. Betsy says:

I don’t know how I missed this! So sorry, would have loved to participate :(

5. Lisa Casto says:

Phooey, I missed this, although I believe I should be excluded because we are related. Still, the “girly” questions made me giggle!