food

Quesadillas

16 Comments 11 July 2011

quesadillas

Hot day, fab lunch. A stack of quesadillas disappears quickly! If you want more than this, add some corn crisps like Doritos with some homemade guacamole.

Kay-sa-DEE-yas. Grate some cheese, add some nice stuff, sandwich it between two tortillas, lay flat on the frying pan, when cheese starts to melt, flip it over for 30 seconds, slide onto a plate and cut into wedges. Can any snack be any easier? Or tastier?

I rustled up some of these this past weekend so I thought I’d share with my lovely readers. I can say ‘rustled up’ because I’m American and these are Tex Mex. Even Brits can say ‘rustle up’ when cooking Tex Mex, if you like.

Besides cheese, you can fill them with almost anything. We’ve used left over BBQ beef, chilli, and just beans/cheese/onions with a little sprinkling of cumin and garlic powders in the past. When we were last in texas my brother in law made some tasty ones with spinach and mushroom.

Basically, they are your best friend when it comes to dressing up leftovers.

grated cheese

One of two essential quesadilla ingredients--it keeps the tortillas stuck together. We use a low fat cheddar. Less drippy oil.

quesadilla ingredients

Two quesadillas were filled with lambs lettuce, cress, sweet onions with the cheese. The other two were filled with cheese, sweet onions and some smoked chipotle sauce spread on one tortilla (very yum).

open quesadilla

In case you wanted to know how much of any ingredient to put in, here's the first quesadilla in the pan before the second tortilla is laid on top.

For those of you already onto this trick, what fillings do you use in your quesadillas?

1. Melanie says:

I adore quesadillas! Oh, and the low fat cheddar is a great idea! Thanks for the tip. I love roasted veggies (eggplant, onions, and zucchini), sauteed mushrooms and spinach, and/or fajita-rubbed grilled chicken in mine.

2. groovymum says:

I had some yesterday at the Giraffe restaurant, they were so good with bbq chicken, sweetcorn, beans, and cheese served with aioli dip. I make them too, my kids love them.

3. Sarah says:

There is a serious lack of mexican food in England. Thanks for keeping an American tradition alive! haha

Let me tell you it’s getting better, but 20 years ago it was just about non existent! The solution? Learn how to make it at home and invite people over for the fab food!

4. Yum. I don’t think I’ve ever made them, but I do love them. The Mexican food here is good, but I bet it’s much better in the Southwest!

It probably is better in the Southwest, even if only because there’s more competition to be better, but I;ll bet you’ve got it really good compared to the UK!

5. Sarah B says:

I’ve been hankerin’ for TexMex (latest blog post is PROOF!!) so your post today makes me happy!

I think I will make these for dinner tonight!

Good thing you know how to make your own tex mex… you’ll need that skill here!

6. Elyse says:

Oh my goodness…it sounds So YUMMY!! I love different cheeses in my quesadillas.

7. Oooooh, I LOVE quesadillas. We make a sweet potato quesadilla which is a big hit with the kids and I make a spinach and mushroom one that Hubs LOVES. Quesadillas—muy bien. :)

Fab idea! I will make note of that and try it next time. We love sweet potatoes in this house.

8. Mandi says:

Oh yes, the quesadilla is a staple around our house. I oftentimes do this when I just can’t imagine making a full-blown dinner. We live in Arizona and I’m kind of a traditionalist so I make the standard fare you’d see at your fave Mexican restaurant. But I LOVE the ideas I’ve seen here. Time to switch it up. Mmmm spinach and mushroom.

Mandi
    Smile and Mama With Me

I love hearing that quesadillas are a staple! Lucky kids! The spinach and mushroom was made in Texas, so a bit more authentic than the UK…!