family+home+garden

Have you ever seen an airplane like this?

22 Comments 27 May 2011

stained glass airplane

My uncle is a stained glass artist and one of his specialty items are these delicate airplanes. Unusual, interesting, pretty things to set on your shelf. I love them. When I visited my family recently I was very lucky to be given one by my uncle and I was over the moon! This airplane was especially special as it once belonged to my Grandma.

Then I was scared.

How the heck was I going to get this delicate thing across the Atlantic?

My aunt and uncle found a box and lots of good packing material, spent an age getting it packed just right, we just barely fit the box in my husband’s carry on luggage and careful where we put it all the time, we flew home with it. It made it to our home, safe and sound. It now sits on my alcove bookshelves.

But it’s not just a pretty stained glass airplane. Read on!

stained glass airplane with kaleidoscope

Here's a front view of this pretty little airplane.

stained glass airplane with kaleidoscope tail

And here's a view from the very back at the tail. See the opening? Look inside...

kaleidoscope

It's a kaleidoscope! You can see the triangle of the airplane's body which you look through to see the kaleidoscope image, and the hexagon beyond is the shape of the 'propeller' filled with glass beads, which you turn to change the image. Beautiful!

I love seeing people’s faces when they pick it up, admire it then discover it’s a kaleidoscope. Pure delight!

1. that really is something special. your uncle must be very talented so much work and skill involved in making it.

2. LJB @ crankymonkeys in london says:

Very cool. I would have a hard time keeping my boys away from something like that 😐

Yes, ours are all 13+ so we don’t have to worry about it…until a friend with younger ones visits!

3. Oh c’mon! How cool is that? I love those little surprises too. Genius!

4. david says:

A real treasure! No, I’ve never seen anything like that. Beautiful. I am always in awe of people who can really create, especially items like this.

I know, I am in awe of people like that too. I would love to be able to do what he does with stained glass.

Wow, that is really beautiful!

6. Shelley says:

That is just completely gorgeous! I love stained glass all by itself – always have. But it’s been years and years since I saw a a kaleidoscope!! Your uncle must be really clever…does he have a website?

7. I’ve never seen anything like that – it’s absolutely beautiful and as delicate looking as a butterfly. And as a bonus the kalaidoscope (sp?), haven’t thought about them for years!!!

8. That’s beautiful! I am always given things last minute to stash away in my suitcase. Drives me nuts.

Yes, we were lucky that they were able to find things to safely wrap the airplane with!

9. Star says:

What a pretty little thing. I love it.

10. Nickie says:

As soon as I saw the front of the plane I was trying to work out how/why the front was familiar. That is amazing!! I love it!! One talented man 🙂

11. Mrs. Tuna says:

So pretty, I love kaleidoscopes!

I almost forget about them, then am always so excited when I see one again–such a child.