things i love

A Moment in Time

19 Comments 11 February 2011

Lindisfarne Castle

Lindisfarne Castle on Holy Island, Northumberland

I love capturing a moment.

The moment I took this photo it already looked like something well established in my history, a memory from years ago, thanks to the qualities of the Hipstamatic iPhone app I was using.

Wouldn’t it be awesome if there were an app that could focus back in time and take photos of moments long past?

Have a great weekend!

1. john Falchetto says:

Nice shot! Where is that exactly? For someone who has a very rough understanding of Englands’ geography.

I assume you are already working on such an app, Michelle?

Lindisfarne Castle is just off the northeast coast of England, in the North Sea. The priory nearby (Lindisfarne Priory) is historically significant for being the first stronghold of Christianity in England, for facing numerous Viking raids, and for the Lindisfarne Gospels, an incredibly beautiful illuminated manuscript. But to me Lindisfarne is simply a beautiful and wild location!

LOL! Thanks for your vote of confidence John! I think I’ll have to wait for someone else to design that app! :)

2. Well, there’s another place for my must-see list. I also love the Hipstamatic app. It makes great photos of the children as well.

I;ve taken a few of the children with it but you’ve just reminded me to take some more and have fun with it–they love playing around with different shots!

Ah Lindisfarne – also known as Holy Island. The locals (my brother’s in-laws) just call it The Island and have a whale of a time watching the tourists miscalculate the tides and get stuck over night. Or – some of them try to beat the tide and drive back over the ford, only to get their car stuck.
    I must get that app; it’s brill!

When we were there last summer the kids were fascinated by the posters everywhere featuring a car stranded at high tide, warning visitors of the results of poor planning!

4. Mother Hen says:

It would be lovely to have a app for that, especially when little snipits of memory pictures pop into your head at such weird times.

I think that app does exist. It’s called “the memory” and it’s in your brain, not your phone. Unfortunately, it’s notoriously unreliable, especially the recall function.

6. Harriet says:

Lovely – and yes, I need that app, only in reverse, so that I can feel now that sense of nostalgia for nappies that currently drive me mad!

Incidentally if you were at Holy Island, did you also go to Dunstanburgh? It’s not far and quieter and almost more beautiful.

Oh, and next time you’re up this way, pop over the border and come in for a cup of tea (or coffee?!)

Hahahahaha! I LOVE it! Thats an excellent idea for an app!

I have indeed been to Dunstanburgh, and yes, it is much quieter. I agree almost more beautiful.

Tea OR coffee would be lovely, thank you! :)

7. Susan Kane says:

We lived in Ireland when our children were young. We ran a hotel that was built in 1769 as a hunting lodge. We lived on a hill overlooking Cork Harbor; our children played on 20 acres of wooded land.
    Your photo took me back there. We used to go to Rock of Cashel on the way to Dublin. We would go over a hill, and as we crested, we would see the Rock, and everytime it took my breath away.
    Keep writing. Susan

8. rebecca says:

got to love phones for being there to capture pics :-)

9. That would be quite an app! XOL

10. Susan Kane says:

If only we had bought stock in Apple back in 1978. We were young then, and didn’t really think Apple would take off like it did. I am glad that they did, and we have lovely things like iPods, iPads, iPhones, and blogs. Keep taking photos! susan