family+home+garden

Snow Day

20 Comments 03 December 2010

snow drift in field

A mini snow drift at the field's edge.

Question: How many snow days an you have before you reach a critical mass and go completely stir crazy?

Answer: It depends on lots of things.

I have a Cold Temperature Phobia so I wanted to stay inside all the time. But I also have a Cabin Fever Phobia which is at odds with the Cold Temp Phobia at the moment. Yesterday, on the third snow day for the local schools’, I finally ventured outside for longer than the five minutes needed to fill the stray cats bowl with food or the bird feeder with birdseed. I brought my camera for consolation (it gave me A Purpose).

We walked to the pond and investigated the thickness of the ice, I tidied a pile of coal bags and opened one to get some coal for the bucket that sits by the fire (packing in as much as I could so I wouldn’t have to go out again later), I gathered kindling and logs and fought a small drift and some icy wind off the field to get them back to my back door (all fifty feet or so). Then feeling quite intrepid I convinced my daughter that we should walk down the lane to the church and back. Because I had worn wellies with thin socks socks (even though I thought to put thermals on my legs) my toes were in that painful stage just before numb by the time we got home. I looked at my watch. We had been out 45 minutes. Plenty of time to keep cabin fever at bay. We then went in and made giant chocolate chip cookies and made ourselves sick on them while watching Toy Story 3 in front of the fire.

After the film, daughter logged onto the school’s website to find they had set loads (even in my eyes, loads) of homework. Oh dear.

How have you all spent your snow days?

1. Olivia says:

Sounds like you’re managing your critical mass pretty well! Chocolate chip cookies on a snow day–what could be better?!

2. Southern Hemisphere says:

Aha! I have my new secret weapon. THERMAL wellies from Denmark. Those Scandies really know how to dress for the outdoors. The down side? I only got a pair sent over for my 2 year old and not myself. Oh well ski socks, wellies and lots of toe-scrunching to help keep those toes warm should do it. If not, a hot chocolate and a mince pie once back inside will do the trick.

What about those lovely little multicoloured elf boots? They must make those in adult sizes…

But yes, hot choccie and mince pie is always a safe bet!

3. MarmiteFluff says:

Snow days are a far-off dream right now in southern New England. Nothing in the 10-day forecast at all. Two days ago we had temperatures in the high 50s (whatever that is in C) and a tree-felling storm that I can only describe as ‘tropical’ — more like something we would get in late summer as a hurricane makes its way up the East Coast.

The kids are longing for that magic call to the schools’ hotline, for a disembodied voice to say, ‘Today is Monday, December 6. Due to the heavy snow, schools will be closed today.”

Sigh. January, perhaps.

Its funny how much kids long for a snow day. I remember it well, listening to the radio, fingers crossed, waiting for my school to be listed as one of the closed schools. Will you have a white Christmas? Is that usual or unusual?

• MarmiteFluff says:

In the last 15 winters, there has only been one Christmas Day with a heavy snowstorm. There have been a couple of Christmases with flurries (AKA ‘blizzards’ in UK Met Office terminology) and a few Christmases with leftover whiteness from an earlier storm.

So I suppose it’s more unusual than one would expect. Not holding out much hope for this year!

Wait – aren’t you from Minnesota? How can you have a thing about the cold? Surely it’s in your genes?

5. RavensGirl says:

I am a new reader and was wondering where do you live in England? I lived in England for 5 years and never had a snow day. We did have “fog calls” which would delay school for a few hours but that was it.

Thanks for stopping by! I live in Essex–the driest county in England so you’d think snow days would be rare. We had a few snow days in January because of the snow, but this time I think the danger is more about the ice. the snow is mostly melted but not enough to be safe when the freezing temps hit late in the day.

6. Mother Hen says:

Daughter on day 2 of snow days because apparently there is more snow and ice in Colchester so she couldn’t get there! I still have to get to work to sell the christmas trees but she has been out playing with the dogs and drinking gallons of Skinny Cow hot chocolate.

So glad you are a past visitor of our christmas shop and that we are part of past traditions. We really miss it too. Hope to see you for a tree really soon. Drive safely.

Wow, I would have thought the roads to work would be too difficult to get through some of the days this past week! What do I know though?! Yes, see you soon :)

7. Star says:

I go out for a walk every day (about half an hour suffices!) although today it was 1 1/2 hours because our new Sainsburys has just opened after a major refit. I have been decorating the kitchen (in the preparation stage) and doing lots of cooking: soup, cake -that sort of thing – comfort food.
    I thank God that I don’t have a job at the moment so I don’t HAVE to go out!
    Blessings, Star

Good for you! Busy and productive and still managing some fresh air and exercise. But yes, I agree its good to be able to stay at home without the anxiety of weather getting in the way.

8. Kym Hamer says:

I have lived in the UK for 7 years (I’m from Australia where it just doesn’t snow) and it still makes me want to press my nose up against the window in utter fascination.

I was walking home from the bus stop during the week and I could see the swirling snowflakes around the streetlight’s halo – it was magical.

9. Well our schools don’t close, so the normal stuff still goes on. Only I’ve decided not to use my car if I can help it because I don’t feel like de-snowing it and I tend to just go short distances anyway. There is also a lot of sledging in the park. (There’s a tiny hill.)

Our school used to say ‘we never close’ but for some reason this year they actually closed the school for three days. Not sure why the sudden change of plan, perhaps there was a letter I missed (as I often do). Even tiny hills get a lot of attention in the snow! My daughter tramped around on the snow on the patio and called it an ice rink then skidded back and forth for a mind numbingly long time. And toe numbingly. ;)

10. Rebecca says:

I know what you mean. I had some serious cabin fever today. Fortunately, Tim dug out the car and we finally went to Tesco…just in the nick of time, as I was down to serving tinned soup and cheese toasties for Tea!!

LOL! But I love tinned soup and cheese toasties! Especially if its tomato… perfect winter food. :)